Who are We? More…

I’m going to jump back in where I left off on our foster-adoption story. You ready?

So, we are back with these two little kids and I’m desperately trying to remember everything they taught us in that 9 week foster/adoption certification class about how to be a parent.  I mean, talk about a struggle!  We only had a couple of hours between us making the decision to “accept” the kids and us actually getting the children that fateful Friday afternoon on June 20th.

You should have seen us, a young couple who had NEVER researched on car seats or crib mattresses, or anything related to infants and toddlers, in Target trying to figure out which car seats we should buy. We had no idea how much either of them weighed, which brands were best or how to even install them in the car. I remember telling my husband, “We have to turn the little one backwards! I remember seeing that somewhere!” After finalizing our purchases, we rolled up to the Department of Social Services and met the kids.

I recall exactly what was happening when we first laid eyes of them.  My son was playing with some toys in the waiting room. One of the social workers was holding my daughter and she had tears in her eyes, but wasn’t quite crying. The petite social worker was rocking her up and down to calm her. I remember thinking…they’re cute. They have big heads (hey, just being honest, lol), but they’re cute.  Then I heard her words again, “Don’t get too attached.” And I quickly snapped into business mode.

The kids’ previous foster parents were there and the foster mom gave me a thorough run down of everything.  “She is on stage 3 baby food and she just starting drinking whole milk.  She just got her 1-year-old vaccines today, so she may be a little fussy,” she explained.  I was vigorously scribbling down notes on an old envelope trying to retain everything she was giving me. I remember thinking, “Stage 3 foods? What is that?!” And also pondering, so if she’s fussy from the vaccines, what do I do then? It was all so overwhelming and it honestly felt like she was speaking a foreign language.  She was actually…it was “baby/kid talk” and I had no idea what any of it meant.

After speaking with the foster mom, I was more than convinced that this would be a quick ordeal.  She was kind, compassionate and provided everything we needed to know despite this being a potentially awkward situation.  I was sure the investigation would conclude and the kids would go back to them in no time.  3 weeks, I thought to myself.  3 weeks.

The first night, the kids did okay. They both slept through the night, which surprised me and my husband. I thought them being in a new place would leave them frightened and unsure. Thinking back on it now, it was just a testament to how resilient my kiddies were. They were such fighters and knew how to adapt to any situation and survive.

Saturday, I quickly went to work trying to secure a daycare for the kids.  Because their current daycare was also under investigation, we weren’t able to send them there. Talk about a bind!  I knew my neighbor across the street ran a licensed daycare and I called her immediately. She had an open spot available for my son. We got my mother-in-law to stay with us to help us during the transition for a couple of weeks. She agreed to stay with my daughter and became our emergency back up person and had to undergo fingerprinting and a background check to watch the children.  I don’t know how we did it, but we had everything in place before the weekend was over so we could return to work on Monday.

I bragged a little earlier how resilient my kiddies were…well they may have been resilient but my daughter was still a 1-year-old little girl who had no idea who we were. And my son was a 2 year and 2 month old boy who like to whine and cry when he felt things weren’t structured enough for him.  He was also a little clumsy and did a lot of tumbling and falling down.  He had come to us with a black eye (the source of the investigation) but after being with him for just a few moments, I was convinced he’s fallen off of some object or structure and had given it to himself!  He would run and let that head lead the way.  Combine that with a lack of balance and ladies and gentleman, we had a faller!

That Saturday was full of crying, whining, falling, tumbling, smiling, laughing, dancing, more crying, a lot more whining, smiling, and eating.  We were exhausted and way in over our heads. Or at least it felt that way in that moment.

My mother and father drove up from Richmond, VA to check on us. I remember opening the door, expecting my parents to come in, “parent” these foster children and save the day. Wearily, I greeted them with a deflated smile.  They came bearing gifts – a couple of outfits and a few toys.  My husband and I must have looked crazy because I remember my parents looking at us like, What have you two gotten yourselves into?! They tried to be as comforting as possible, given the circumstances.  My mom offered me the best words of wisdom after observing us for a while.  “You both look exhausted! And the kids are delirious,” she stated matter-of-factly.  I fought the urge to snap and say, “Tell me something I don’t know, Mom.” (I didn’t say anything though…I wasn’t crazy, lol). Then she provided the most common sense advice that I was entirely too tired and dazed to think of myself.  “You KNOW you can give them a nap, right?” she asked.

“Omg…a nap! A NAP!!!” I giggled excitedly.  YES! WE COULD GIVE THEM A NAP!!! It was like music to my ears. Why hadn’t I thought of this before?! That’s what they needed.  That’s what we all needed – a nap. I let out a little squeal of delight at the realization. “Yes, Erika. You need to put them on a schedule! That will restore some balance to your lives and give them the structure they need,” she explained.  That last sentence sent me to the moon.  THAT is how we will get through this.  A routine, a schedule and naps! NAPS! It was like she had given us the golden ticket.  My parents didn’t save the day in that visit, but her words quickly saved my sanity in that moment.

Later, I busied myself typing in Google searches that read, ‘how many hours should a 1-year-old sleep?’ and ‘how many hours should a 2-year-old sleep?” I went on Pinterest and searched for sleep schedules and recommended nap times.  The final piece of this puzzle was when we were talking to my mother-in-law and she dropped this gem that stayed with me. “You know you can put them down as early as 7:30pm, right? Especially when the fall comes and it gets dark earlier,” she recommended. I’m shocked I didn’t break out into a jig, right then and there. I had figured out how I would get through this. This routine would save us.  This routine would restore us.

This routine would get us through the next 3 weeks!


2 thoughts on “Who are We? More…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s